Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Some Notes From Kim

I'm getting my blog for tomorrow written, but thought I'd pause a bit to update you on a bunch of smaller things.

First, I hear that at the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation meeting on September 25, 2008, I was designated a crop insurance expert/actuarial reviewer, able to do reviews of USDA Risk Management Agency studies and reports. I'm looking forward to some interesting work here!

Next, I went with RiskLightHouse partners Robert Faber and Karen Pachyn to visit two midwestern insurance companies, West Bend Mutual and Jewelers Mutual.


Thank you to all three groups for the productive and enlightening meetings.

Karen then went off to the Midwestern Actuarial Forum meeting at Sentry. I couldn't go, but sure missed it that day, as I've been involved with the MAF for some time, most recently as president.

Lastly, the bailout plan and stock market drop are surely weighing heavily on all our minds. Bailout or no bailout, I see some very hard times ahead. Insurance has been on the edge of this financial downturn - perhaps it is due to 50 state regulators taking a good look at insurance companies that have kept the insurance companies out of the mess so far.

I'd appreciate any comments about whether insurance companies will be able to stay above the fray or not...Have the restrictions on insurance assets served to spare insurance companies? Will insurance companies be seen as a great investment? And what about state versus federal oversight of insurance companies?

Forward these questions onto other actuaries you know - It would be interesting to get a range of responses.

No comments: