Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Hanna and her Siblings!

Well, the next few weeks will be interesting with three hurricanes all in a row. Hanna was briefly a hurricane over the Bahamas yesterday, but has weakened for now and seems a bit disorganized; Ike and Josephine are lined up in the Atlantic with projected paths similar to Hanna's. Ike is expected, though, to enter the Gulf of Mexico, while Josephine's ultimate destination is more unclear.

Everyone here is having fun with the fact that my middle child is named Hannah and she has kind of a stormy personality. Since Tropical Storm Hanna has caused death and destruction, I wouldn't want to carry the comparison out to too many decimals. My child is, of course, very sweet, but hurricanes really aren't.

Back to business... The absolute best place I have found to track storms is at this Florida site. I like how the Tracker shows the storm moving in time to scale, so that you can see where the storm stalls and where it moves quickly. And color coding the strength of the storm is a nice touch. I'm not sure where they get their storm projections. The tracker, though, does not show the size of the hurricane graphically. A good place to see the satellite view is here.

P.S. I'm glad Gustav wasn't the worst it could have been. It went over Cuba as a category 4, so I'm sure it caused a lot of damage and wrecked some lives. I'm relieved that New Orleans was spared the brunt though.

No comments: